Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Top 5 of the Week.

Hmm...so in order for this blog to feel a bit more personal, I want to start doing a top 5 every week. This week, my top 5 are my top 5 favoriteeeee.......MOVIES!!!!
Here they are, in no particular order:
 #1: Constantine 
I'm not particularly a fan of Keanu Reeves (not many people are) but when he gets combined with tons of demon-exorcist action, I guess I am. I really loved the demons, with their heads cut in half. There's really no way to describe it, with water and cats being portals to hell and heavenly brass knuckles, it's really amazing, and a totally new spin on the heaven-versus-hell story line. Well not new, because it was based on the graphic novel and it came out several years ago, but you know what I mean.
 #2: No One Knows About Persian Cats
Alright, so this one isn't as well known. And this is actually the cover to the soundtrack, but the movie poster looks almost exactly the same, so I didn't worry about finding another picture.
The movie follows Negar and Ashkan, two struggling musicians in Tehran attempting to reform their band and flee their country to play at a music festival in Great Britain. In their country, rock music (and many other kinds of music) is illegal. They travel the city, sampling bands, attempting to get Visas.
 It was so controversial when it came out that all of the members of the on-screen band (in real life, they were the now-broken-up Take It Easy Hospital) had to seek asylum in Britain because they would have been arrested upon their return to Iran. It's really a phenomenal story with a phenomenal soundtrack. I cried at the end of it. Although, a warning, it's a foreign film, so the entire thing is riddled with English subtitles.
 #3: Pan's Labyrinth
Another foreign film, though this one is Spanish. It's about a little girl living in 1944's fascist Spain, who begins to see fairies upon going to live with her stepfather, a cruel general. One of the creatures she meets is a faun who lives in a giant labyrinth. He tells her that she is a lost fairy princess and she must perform a three tasks to prove that her soul is pure enough to return to claim her kingdom.
I am in love with the music of this movie as well as the story. A little warning to the weak of stomach though, there is a lot of gore.
 #4: Serenity
The only way you would understand this movie is if you watched the TV series Firefly, which stars the same cast. The series and the movie are both the brainchildren of Joss Whedon and stars Nathan Fillion, who in my opinion, is good in whatever he acts in. The movie acts as a conclusion to the television series. It is absolutely amazing. River Tam has been my hero ever since I watched this movie. She's such a badass.
#5: Whip It
Haha, I bet anyone who's reading this is thinking "Finally, a movie that's not entirely depressing!!!" Yes. I have a weakness for both of Ellen Page's early indie comedies, but I could watch Whip It any day of the week. I love it so much. It's so funny, and the cast has so much on-screen chemistry. The actors were picked for the roles perfectly; there's not one of them that I look at and think "Oh, they're good but they could have found someone better."
For those who don't know, it's about a pageant girl named Bliss with an overbearing mother. On one fatal shopping trip, she grabs a flier for rollerderby exhibition match. She attends, falls in love with the game, lies about her age, etc. It's a cliche story presented in a wacky way, which is why it works. I'm going to go watch it now. :)

Until next time.
Mari.

No comments:

Post a Comment